9.18.2007

Missing him

cry
My son is away on a school trip, he left early Monday morning, he won't be home till late Thursday night. I won't see or talk to him till them. He is way up in Canada somewhere, 5 hours by bus. It's a school tradition to have the seventh grade class do this team building trip. They are actually camping, in this cold weather. The kids are busy learning each other's strengths and weaknesses, I'm busy worrying that he is eating well enough and wondering whether his feet are warm.

Some of the parents who have gone through this before say it is really a positive experience for the kids. Some of the kids have never been camping before and they are expecting a resort at the end of their bus trip. What they find instead is a dock, in the middle of nowhere, with three boats. One boat takes all their luggage and their teachers over to the island. The other two boats, which are canoes, take the kids, 15 to a canoe, to the island. The island is a 20 minute canoe ride away, some kid powered canoes take 2 1/2 hours to make it there. That is their first lesson in teamwork.

They are then broken into 3 groups and will spend the rest of their time on the island together with their group. Two days are spent on different team building activities, one day is spent back at camp doing the cooking and cleaning for the other two groups of kids.

So he is gone, busy with his classmates. There is a big void around the house. No homework getting worked on, no cartoons blaring from the TV, no child like laughter and exuberance. It is just my husband and I. We quickly fell back into old habits abandoned when we became parents. Tonight we sat down on the couch and watched the Yankees. Without parental duties to perform we just relaxed and watched the ball game. The three of us have watched games together, but much of the conversation is directed at our son, teaching him the intricacies of baseball. We explain why the outfield is brought in for certain batters, when it's a good idea to bunt, what the infield fly rule is or whatever. We'll also teach him about Yankee history, about the players we watched growing up, some of the great games we went to. Tonight was different, we just watched and talked without having to answer questions about the rules. I recalled my husband and I planning to follow the Yankees around the country when we retire, getting to every major league ballpark at least once. I haven't thought about that in a very long time.

Yankee Stadium

So our son is getting to the age where we are thinking about the family vacations we should take before he leaves for parts unknown, for longer than four days. My husband nor I have ever been to a World Series game. The Yankees will likely make the play offs this season, and if they make the Series we are going to try to get tickets to at least one of the games at Yankee Stadium. That would be awesome for the three of us to experience our first World Series game together. We need to capitalize on an opportunity to do this as a family, because we won't always be all together.
<<= Home Email me

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, I can't believe he is growing up so quickly! You are certainly right to start planning the time you have left with him while you are still "cool" in his eyes! Sending you hugs!

9/18/07, 11:34 PM  
Edit Comment
Blogger JoeinVegas said...

Maybe time for a baby brother? No - just appreciate the time alone.

9/18/07, 11:36 PM  
Edit Comment
Blogger Renee said...

Yeah, when DD is out we just sit around missing her too...instead of taking advantage of having an empty house. LOL

That sounds like a cool trip to me. I'm sure he's having fun, not eating well but having fun.

9/19/07, 1:18 AM  
Edit Comment
Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said...

My school does something like this in Oklahoma for 4th graders. I went the year my son went and had a good time. It was only 3 days, though. I don't think I could have taken it beyond that. Every day they ask me to go back, but I really can't leave with 4 kids at home and my wife often out of town. We only had 2 when he went and my wife worked at my school. :)

9/19/07, 1:45 AM  
Edit Comment
Blogger mar said...

It sounds like a very exciting trip! He might come back a couple of pounds lighter but very, very happy! Strange coincidence: my son spent 9 weeks in Canada through his school when he was a sophomore...it was a long time for the parents, the house was very quiet (even the phone had a vacation!), our son had the best time.
Enjoy the time alone with your husband and make plans!

9/19/07, 2:33 AM  
Edit Comment
Blogger Melli said...

Awwww... what a poignant post! I bet he is having the time of his life on this school adventure! I think that is an awesome field trip! My kids never got to do anything like that... but at least 2 of them would have loved it! I think they all would have really....

And yea... planning vacations with your boy must be fun! Take advantage of those opportunities! They DO grow up waaaaay to fast!

9/19/07, 8:15 AM  
Edit Comment
Blogger Lisa said...

Awww ~~ he's going to have such a great time! I'm sure he'll be excited to tell you all about it. :-)

9/19/07, 10:14 AM  
Edit Comment
Blogger Trenting said...

I hate when they grow up.. It makes me want to have a baby..

9/19/07, 5:51 PM  
Edit Comment
Blogger NatureWoman said...

Wow, that sounds like quite an experience your son is having.

9/19/07, 6:11 PM  
Edit Comment
Blogger Killired said...

his trip sounds AWESOME!!!!! you'll have to let us know how it goes and what all he has to say when he gets back!!!!
hang in there mom! this is good for him!!!!!

9/19/07, 9:38 PM  
Edit Comment
Blogger Kimberly said...

Wow, what an incredible blog you have here! So many spiffy toys to play with - I'm going to have fun exploring.

9/19/07, 10:44 PM  
Edit Comment
Blogger chichimama said...

Hope you survive! And I bet he comes back very excited about the whole experience. My school did the same thing in 6th grade and it was fabulous!

9/21/07, 11:12 PM  
Edit Comment

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home