3.12.2007

Train Derailment

My mother and two of my sisters heard a huge explosion this morning around 7:00 AM. There was a train derailment a couple of miles from where they live. Twenty-eight of eighty train cars had derailed, some carrying flammable liquids. Five of the cars with flammable liquids went up in flames sending a huge fireball into the sky.

Work was closed for my sister and school was closed for my niece. They were under a state of emergency today because there were other train cars with flammable liquids that could explode causing further damage. Many roads were closed and people were evacuated. People who weren't in the evacuation area were asked to stay in their homes and not go outside unless absolutely necessary.

My valiant sister courageously left the house and played my mother's lotto numbers for her. What a hero.



<<= Home Email me

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

That sounds very frightening! I hope they're alright.

I'm off to Florida to look for a house. Wish us luck!

Cheers!

3/12/07, 8:56 PM  
Edit Comment
Blogger chichimama said...

I hope she wins...

3/12/07, 9:16 PM  
Edit Comment
Blogger Melli said...

Goooooood grief! Well... I'm glad to see she has her priorities lined up! Were any PEOPLE injured? How scary!

3/12/07, 10:43 PM  
Edit Comment
Anonymous mon@rch said...

O my goodness! how scary! q

3/12/07, 10:58 PM  
Edit Comment
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Oh My, that is frightening. Did your mom win?

3/12/07, 11:09 PM  
Edit Comment
Blogger Margie said...

Horrible thing....the train derailment....so close to your family Barbara.

Hope your mom is lucky!

3/13/07, 12:49 AM  
Edit Comment
Blogger mar said...

How scary! glad nobody was injured...good luck to your mom! yes, your sister is a hero!

3/13/07, 8:18 AM  
Edit Comment
Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said...

There's a train near my school - maybe I'll get out of work today?
Just kidding!

3/13/07, 9:02 AM  
Edit Comment
Blogger Marie said...

We were on the Thruway yesterday (south of Albany heading back to western NY). We saw signs about the Thruway being closed at exit 33, but no explanation of why. Now we know! By the time we got there (mid afternoon) it had reopened & we didn't have to take a detour.

I grew up right near there... I think we talked about that already.

Glad your family is safe!

3/13/07, 4:24 PM  
Edit Comment

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home